Police officials said that both parents, 23-year-old Cheyenne and 31-year-old Javontae, were arrested and taken into custody after they reportedly beat and shook their 5-month-old baby. Authorities also said the parents caused severe head injuries from which the baby is not expected to recover. Both parents were later charged with neglect of a defendant resulting in catastrophic injury and aggravated battery.
The parents reportedly called 911 and told the dispatcher that their 5-month-old baby was not breathing. First responders began CPR while VCSO deputies and Emergency Medical Services were en route to the address. First responders took over life-saving measures and were able to restore a pulse to the child and transported him to a hospital where he was placed on a ventilator. Shortly after, the baby was stabilized and, due to the severity of his injuries, transported to the Children’s Hospital for more specialized care.
Doctors told investigators that the baby suffered skull fracture, subdural hematomas, retinal hemorrhages, and subarachnoid bleeding. The injuries were described as consistent with violent shaking and/or an impact. The infant has been diagnosed with a traumatic brain injury and is not likely to survive. According to the police officials, the injuries were found to be consistent with abusive head trauma and were described by doctors as inflicted injuries.
In addition to describing the injuries as inflicted, medical personnel advised that the infant’s life-threatening condition would have been obvious around the time the infant was reportedly put to bed. Doctors told the parents and authorities that the infant is not likely to survive. Police officials said that the baby’s parents didn’t offer any explanation, accidental or otherwise, for their baby’s injuries. During an interview with investigators, both parents denied inflicting the injuries or having any knowledge or belief that the other had hurt the infant. Police officials also said that the parents gave conflicting stories regarding which parent had put the infant to bed prior to the discovery that the infant was not breathing.