According to the court documents, the 45-year-old father, Jesse, reportedly killed his newborn baby son after he repeatedly beat the child. Jury found the defendant guilty on first-degree child abuse resulting in the death of a child under age 13 and second-degree child abuse. Prosecutors said the father is now facing a maximum sentence of 40 years in prison for the abuse resulting in death charge, and 15 years for each of the other abuse charges.
On June 17, 2020, the 911 caller told the dispatcher that a newborn baby is in cardiac arrest. The first responders located the child and rushed him to the hospital. Unfortunately, the baby was pronounced dead one hour after he had arrived at the hospital. Hospital staff told investigators that the baby suffered multiple injuries to his body that were consistent with non-accidental trauma.
According to the court documents, these injuries included: 20 healing broken ribs, old abdominal injury and a new abdominal injury that ultimately led to the infant’s death at just one month old. According to the medical examiner, the child’s previously broken ribs indicate abuse that predated his fatal abdominal injury. Investigators discovered that the injuries were consistent with blunt force trauma and ruled the infant’s death a homicide.
Investigators discovered that the baby’s father sent numerous concerning text messages and searched numerous concerning subjects related to the infant child. According to court documents, several witnesses also came forward and told investigators that they had seen Jesse being rough with the newborn during his tragically short life. “These are the cases that keep you up at night realizing what some people are capable of. This poor baby knew nothing but hate and abuse in this world. Jesse is the reason we have prisons, and we will do everything within our power to make sure he is in one for many, many years,” State’s Attorney Charlie.